Citizens State Bank will celebrate its 125 anniversary on Sunday, Oct. 13 at the Wisner City Auditorium with a meal being served from 5:00 to 7:30 p.m. Memorabilia from the past 125 years will be on display throughout the evening.
Citizens State Bank was organized as a State Bank, Oct. 17, 1888, by F. B. VanDorn, Sylvester Emley, Wm. Stuefer, J. H. Emley and J. W. Kenzel. The bank was a 25x50 one-story brick building, situated on Lot 11, Block 35. In the rear of the building, was a large vault containing a made-to-order burglar proof safe. The bank began with paid-in capital of $15,000.00.
On July 3, 1903, the bank became a National Bank and updated its name to The Citizens National Bank of Wisner. By April, 1913, the bank had deposits of over $360,000.00 and total assets of $505,000.00. In 1949, the bank building had major remodeling done, at which time, the entrance steps were taken out, the entrance changed, and a new brick front built to modernize the outside appearance. The interior of the bank had the old iron cages removed from the teller area. By 1949, the total resources reached $2,769,000.00. In August 1964, the building was again remodeled and modernized to the times. The flooring was all carpeted, new lighting installed, and central air conditioning added. “The Clock With The Chimes”, located on the outside of the bank and part of Citizens National Bank for more than a half century, was replaced by a new time and temperature clock on Oct. 17, 1968.
The formation of Citizens National Corporation, a new holding company, occurred on Jan. 20, 1976. It was organized by Paul Briardy.
To continue the mission of service to its customers, Elkhorn Valley Insurance Agency was formed in 1976. The insurance business was purchased from Robert Munson.
For the full story, pick up the October 9 Wisner News-Chronicle, or call 402-529-3228 to subscribe.