St. Francis Memorial Hospital Auxiliary is celebrating their 60th anniversary this year.
The auxiliary was formed in 1953 when Mrs. Ben Meister presided over the organizational meeting and Sister Mary Daniel, hospital administrator, answered questions from the audience.
Fifty-four ladies signed up that evening with a charter membership of 104. Dues were $1 per year.
The original officers selected were: President – Mrs. Ben Meister, Vice President – Mrs. Paul Schmeling, Secretary – Mrs. W. H. Hassebroock, Treasurer – Mrs. John Koudele.
The Auxiliary remains strong and active today. Each year the foundation hosts fundraisers such as the Salad Luncheon and Holiday Bazaar. Occasionally they take on special projects and fund drives.
Since 1953 Auxiliary members have supported many worthy projects and donated needed items such as fetal monitors, birthing rooms, support of the Dinklage Medical Clinic construction, and x-ray equipment. The Auxiliary is very proud to have donated over $200,000 in their 60 years of existence. It just goes to show what vision and care can produce.
The Auxiliary now operates the “Tokens of Love” gift shop in the hospital lobby. The new gift shop has been received very well by the community and visitors.
New members are welcome.
Current officers are: President – Stasia Stokely, Vice President – Bernice Miller, Secretary – Betty Bettenhausen and Treasurer – Agnes Dinslage.